Professional Development for Counsellors and Therapists
This practical, online programme is designed for Counsellors and Therapists. It is also open to individuals who have an interest in integrating therapeutic writing into their lives or professions.
As Counsellors and Therapists, we appreciate the importance of making that ‘connection’ with our clients. Many of us adapt our approach to find the medium that works most effectively with each individual.
Over the years, I have found Therapeutic Writing to be a powerful approach that allows us to connect with even the most difficult to reach clients.
Therapeutic and Reflective Writing offer a way for us to explore ourselves in a gentle, symbolic and non – confrontational manner. They allow us to recognize our internal resources and provide us with techniques for healing past wounds, acknowledging our talents and strengths and clarifying our future path, thus creating a sense of purpose.
Through a series of six practical online workshops, we explore various Therapeutic Writing techniques, applying them firstly to ourselves and then using them when working with our clients. We also explore the link between Therapeutic Writing and The Unconscious, with a particular focus on Jungian Psychology.
You will very quickly become comfortable with integrating Therapeutic Writing into your Counselling Sessions.
I have found that many clients who relate to Therapeutic Writing, also relate to Art Therapy and we will touch on how you can create a natural link between these two approaches during your Counselling Sessions – you need absolutely no artistic skills to do this.
Please be prepared to share your experiences with group members and to give and receive feedback. We all have much to learn from one another. Also, I kindly ask all members to have their cameras on, so that we can see one another. I feel it allows us to get to know one another better and is important for the cohesion of the group.
In advance of the start date, I am available to meet with each member individually … to welcome you … and also to discuss your current work and how you might benefit most from this programme.
There will be a maximum of 15 members in each cohort and we will meet via Zoom.
- Weekly Zoom Meetings of one and a half hours duration.
- During each meeting, we will explore a new therapeutic writing technique, directly experiencing it ourselves and sharing feedback with one another.
- Feedback will be both in small breakout rooms and full group discussion.
- During the following week, each member will use the new technique with one or more client.
- Each member will write a short personal reflection on their experience of using this technique with their client and Email this reflection to me, along with the client’s writing (with their permission and removing names). I will provide individual feedback before the next meeting.
- During each subsequent meeting, we will start by sharing our experiences of using the previous week’s technique with our clients, highlighting key breakthrough moments, challenges, surprises and successes.
- We will then explore a new technique and continue in the same manner.
- You will be provided with a list of useful reading resources, but this is completely optional.